Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Land of Misfit Baby Toys/Products

The more I learn about baby toys and products, the more I'm amazed at the amount of stuff out there geared toward new parents. It's mind-blowing. You name it, they make it (and then some ... which is the nature of this post - oh just you wait, some of the stuff is hilarious).

I've been told all children really need is Mom's boob and blanket (sorry to be crude ... but I did warn you this blog is about new babies and everything that goes with). I tend to disagree that's all they need ... some onesies and an infant bath tub would be nice ... and heck, maybe even a baby monitor and breast pump (mama's going to want a glass of wine sooner or later).

All of that said, the advice that kids don't need all that much is good to keep in mind, and has steered me clear of the following so far.

I can't say this is entirely without merit, but it's still hilarious. It's a "pee pee tee pee" to protect you from spontaneous pee streams while changing diapers. Part genius and part ridiculous. If it's a boy, we just might be getting these.

Ummm no. Nuff said.

This is not a joke. I do not know PhotoShop and thus could not have manipulated this picture. This takes the cake. If any of my friends have participated in said belly painting, we really must talk.

Cute right? NO!!! It's $72.99! Buy diapers!

I think I might ruffle some feathers with this one, but I really don't see the point in a "diaper cake." First off, it's weird. There, I said it. Secondly, no one actually uses the diapers because they don't want to mess up the cake. So basically, you set it out at your shower, and then let it take up half a closet until you have another kid? Maybe I'm missing something ...
I'm sorry, but this just grosses me out. It's a book to save all your kid's lost teeth. I'm so telling my child that the tooth fairy takes their teeth to tooth heaven.

This has to be my favorite - seriously. What the heck are you going to do with this. And why? WHY!!!???



6 comments:

  1. Dawn, you have me laughing! I have to comment on a few of these. First - the pee pee tee pee - funny name, cute idea, but you really don't need it! Knox has peed on me once. After that I got quick at the diaper change and haven't experienced a drop of pee on me since. Second, the diaper cake - trust me when I tell you that you will use any and every diaper that you can get your hands on. The free ones that are sent as samples in the mail, the ones that come in your cute diaper cake, the squished ones at the bottom of the diaper bag....it doesn't matter...if it is clean and fits, it is getting used! Those things are way too expensive to let sit in the closet. I was given 2 diaper cakes and have used every single diaper that came in it!

    I completely agree with your other rants...ridiculous items for an over-marketed crowd. I love reading about your baby experiences. Can't wait to find out what you are having :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our experience with the Pee Pee Tee Pee was that it just fell off due to wiggly baby who didn't like to get his diaper changed. They do however make excellent party hats once you take advantage of the breast pump and start having a glass (or two, or three) of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Love this post! I hate to say it, but at first glance the lady in the belly painting shot looks like you! :) And there WILL be a diaper cake at my shower...because my sister says it's the only crafty thing she does...and it's all I know I about baby showers. Seriously. What do you DO at showers besides look at diaper cakes and punch bowls? Ahhhh! I'm going to be a horrible mother! Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys. Mommyhood is some fun, right? And Little Brit - I'm dying at your comment that the belly painting girl looks like me. At least she's happy ... wow, so happy. Wonder how she chose the aquarium montage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no more writers block I take it?! :) I must chime in on the belly casting! I think looking at someone else's can be...weird. BUT when we were at an auction (after several drinks) we bid and WON one. We did it and have it hanging on emma's wall! (http://tylerandconnie.blogspot.com/2010/12/finally.html) I guess for us it's more of what the whole experience was about (the waiting and praying for her for so long!). anyway you don't have to love it or like it at all, but since we did the mold a few days before I ended up in the hospital it has more of an emotional tie to it for me :) So many unknowns while she was there...that belly's changed our life!! Anyway, love you girl! When will we get a belly pic update?! :) (ok so maybe i just like bellies?!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! (Actually, I've loved all your posts thus far.) I agree with your other friends about the peepee teepee. If Baby Wright's a boy, don't bother -- it just ends up making a bigger mess, in my opinion. I can't wait to find out whether there's pink or blue in your and Jared's future!

    ReplyDelete