Wednesday, July 20, 2011

T-Minus 30 Days

Between last night's hospital tour and today's 36-week ultrasound, everything is becoming super exciting and REAL!

The tour was great. Seeing the lay of the land helped make things seem less scary. And bizarrely enough, Jared and I both love hospitals, so we're actually looking forward to labor! (I say that now). There are three different rooms you stay in - one for "assessment" and early labor (up to 3-4 centimeters). Then you're off to where you hang out until you're ready to deliver, and then actually delivery, and then there's the recovery room where you hang out for 2 to 4 days, depending on what kind of delivery you have. They were all A-OK, but of course, it wouldn't be LA if there weren't some sort of special upgrade and waiting list available.

There's of course the primo VIP room, which will run ya a mere $3,000 - $7,000, buying you hardwood floors, a post-op doula or something or other, special food, a robe (what, no slippers?), among other perks. Surely this is where Pink, Penelope Cruz, Victoria Beckham, among other celebs - chilled out postpartum.

For us regular folks, you can try to sweet talk your way into a delivery room with a view. Initially, I thought, who needs a view? Surely I'll be too busy to really care, right? But then they showed us a room without a view, and admittedly, it feels more claustrophobic. EVERYTHING worthwhile in LA has a waiting list it seems ... from dinner reservations, to day cares, and now - delivery rooms with a view! I think I'll leave sweet-talking the nurses to Jared, who has a way with the ladies - ha!

The tour went late ... and as we were heading out at 10 PM we ran into my doctor, who was so confused at first! She thought I was in labor and that she'd missed my call! (She was on her way to deliver another baby at the time). It was funny because we had a 9 AM with her this morning ... I don't know how doctors stay up all night delivering a baby (she ended up having to do a C-section early this morning) and then see patients all day the next day. I heart doctors.

So about our appointment today - everything looks great and she's already about 6 lbs! The measurements actually came out at 6 lbs., 4 oz., but she said it's probably closer to 6 lbs. This means she could potentially get up to 8 lbs. at delivery, but she doesn't think she'll get that big, and that she's more likely to be in the 7 lb. range. All the measurements look great (head's not too big!), heartbeat's good, and she's got all the right parts (and yes, she's definitely a she.) And she's head down - hallelujah!

Thirty more busy days getting ready for baby! Stay tuned for posts on my fabulous baby showers, and the baby's room. 

4 comments:

  1. Head down is good! Claire never got that memo! Enjoy your time with Jared while you can! Make him take you on some fun last dates before you are a mommy and daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good news!!!! Yay!!!! Can't wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCITING! Are you and Jared planning a last hurrah/babymoon - or special date night before she comes?! Ahh to have notice of said arrival ;0 I think it helped me not fixate on the endless l&d stories I heard with it coming early. My tip of what got me through: counter pressure. EVERY contraction (and they were continuous). Poor Tyler was sore for about 3 days after...I guess I was to! Keep us posted on how you're feeling and what you're thinking as the countdown continues!! PS - I hope you enjoy all my 'reflecting/sharing' for each post. You're the only one that reads these, right?!

    ReplyDelete