Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's My Baby, I Can Cry if I Want To!

If I may say so myself, I've been relatively even-keeled throughout this pregnancy. Jared may have a slightly different take - which he's welcome to share with the rest of the class - but in my expert opinion, emotional outbursts, unrealistic expectations and overall grouchiness has been kept to a minimum.

That is, I fear, until now. At nearly 38 weeks pregnant, carrying around 30 additional pounds, while enduring August temperatures, aches and pains and difficulty sleeping - my stability, perkiness and overall smiley demeanor may have met its expiration date. All good excuses, but let us also not forget that hormones wreak havoc on you during pregnancy, too!

Which leads me to my Top 10 list of things that have made me - or almost made me - cry in the last week, spanning the truly legitimate to the truly ridiculous.

  1. A breaking news child abduction announcement on Nancy Grace (why do I watch that show anyway!?)
  2. Sorting the baby’s microscopic onesies and socks for the laundry (So. So. Small. Wow.)
  3. Jared innocently asking, "What's for dinner?"
  4. Merciless kicks from the baby (which are now being described as “burrowing movements” in my pregnancy books) while driving a stick shift no less!
  5. Thinking about the children helped at a Salvation Army Back-to-School shopping spree, including a shy teenage boy who was interviewed by a local radio station that I lined up.
  6. A certain Pampers commercial (gets me every time).
  7. Fifteen-minute convo with a super mean reporter (who shall remain nameless). 
  8. Discovering Jared had cutely rearranged the baby’s stuffed animals on the bookshelf. 
  9. Feeling the baby move, which is always comforting and a source of joy, and thinking to myself - only 2 more weeks. Obviously I'm excited to meet her face-to-face, but I'm REALLY going to miss this. Strangely and surprisingly overcome by emotion.
  10. Being surrounded by 20 precious babies at a Breastfeeding Support Group that my friend Wendy invited me to. I am certain I've never been around that many infants at one time, and it was surreal, amazing, terrifying and wonderful all at once. 
Major props and thanks to everyone supporting me during this emotional and unpredictable time!

2 comments:

  1. Those tears are just the beginning. Tears of joy, exhaustion, fear and worry are sure to come along. No matter what comes though, I'll always be here for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...if you lived down the road, I'd come over and tear it up with ya anytime ;0

    ReplyDelete